Thursday, April 26, 2012

Out of Tune

So I may have finally figured out how to use this clip-on Yamaha GCT1 tuner. Yesterday, I tried tuning my guitar and I failed miserably. The instruction paper that came with the tuner was uninformative and there was nothing on youtube or google about how to use it!!! So, like an idiot, I attached the tuner to each string thinking that was how it's done. Nope. It isn't. Seriously I am embarrassed to say I hold a doctorate degree and couldn't figure such a simple thing out.

Today, well today, I GOT IT DONE! I must say the guitar sounds so much better! For the past couple of days, I would strum on my chords and wonder to myself why they do not sound anything like how they do online. On my way to SoHo yesterday, I walked by a street performer who was strumming on his guitar and knew for a fact that my guitar must have never been in tune.. not even when it first arrived at my doorstep, well, er, package room, that is. Today, after the tuning session, my guitar sounds heavenly! Cue the choir and the laughing cherubs! Now, when I practice my chord changes, it doesn't sound like a cat is dying anymore :)

Where the tuner is supposed to go: on the Head of the guitar, duh!
The dog was not a fan of the guitar at first. He would run away and hide in the bedroom while I practiced in the living room. He has warmed up to it now. However, he has become quite jealous of all the time and attention it has taken away from him -_-


6 comments:

  1. Inspirational Jenny, I want to pick up learning a guitar too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you're not alone. it took me like an hour to tune my guitar today. couldn't figure out which way i'm supposed to turn the pegs. LOL! silly me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please tell me how to use this tuner? :D i dont know how to use it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, clip the tuner on the top part of the guitar just like in the photo. Turn it on and make sure the mode is set to G for guitar. Once it's on, just strum on each string. If the string is in tune, it will give the correct string name (ex: thickest string is an E string) and the little needle will point towards the middle. If it is out of tune, just adjust it until it's perfect. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tip, I was stuck with the same problem. This blog is pretty cool, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete